You’ll love these easy apple muffins recipe because not only are they incredibly quick and easy to make, they’re incredibly delicious, flavorful, and filling. Packed with healthy ingredients like whole wheat flour, oats and applesauce, these healthy muffins are naturally free of refined sugar.
Subscribe to our pages to not miss new recipes
No blender required, and you can play around with your favorite toppings for a variety of flavors and textures. But when you need to bake something quick, easy and healthy, you can always rely on this recipe.
Making muffin batter isn’t difficult, and you can enjoy the muffins right away, which is definitely a bonus when you’re baking for or with kids.
The main ingredients of these whole wheat applesauce muffins
- Applesauce: Use unsweetened applesauce. If all you have is sweetened, that’s fine, just remember to reduce the amount of maple syrup in the recipe a bit. See recipe note below.
- Melted Coconut Butter: With no fat, these muffins taste dry and rubbery. Use melted coconut oil, but vegetable or melted butter will work too.
- Maple Syrup: The applesauce cupcakes are not too sweet because too much sugar masks the taste of the applesauce. Maple syrup replaces refined sugar and goes well with applesauce.
- Whole Wheat: These are 100% whole wheat muffins made with whole wheat flour. If necessary, you can replace whole grain flour with all-purpose flour. This recipe has not been tested with a gluten-free flour alternative.
- Oats: Use whole or quick oats in this recipe, and they do not need to be soaked before using in the batter.
- Toppings: Similar to zucchini muffins, the thick muffin batter welcomes toppings like raisins, chocolate chips, dried cranberries, or chopped nuts. You can also use diced apples (about 2 medium ones for this recipe).
You will also need cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda, salt, eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Before baking, you can sprinkle the top of the muffins with rolled oats and/or coconut sugar or granulated sugar for a little crunch.
Muffins with applesauce
Please leave a comment on the website or share this recipe on social networks.
Applesauce muffin recipe
These delicious and flavorful whole wheat applesauce muffins are combined with healthy ingredients. As a result, you get an unsurpassed dessert!
- Whole grain flour – 255 gr.
- Oatmeal – 60 gr.
- Ground cinnamon – 1 tsp.
- Soda – 3/4 tsp.
- Baking powder – 1 tsp.
- Salt – 1/2 tsp.
- Apple purée – 320 gr. (not sweet)*
- Eggs – 2 pcs.
- Coconut oil – 80 ml. (or use vegetable oil or butter)
- Maple syrup – 80 ml.
- Milk – 80 ml.
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp.
- Raisins – 110 gr.**
- Optional: 3 tablespoons rolled oats and/or 1 tablespoon coarse sugar for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 220 °C (430 °F). Prepare the form. If you're not using cupcake liners, grease the pan because these cupcakes stick when warm.
Mix the flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl until smooth. Set it aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk applesauce, eggs, oil, maple syrup, milk, and vanilla until smooth.
Pour the applesauce into the flour, stir several times, then add the raisins. Mix everything gently until there are no lumps of flour left.
Pour the dough into the molds, filling them to the very top. Top with oatmeal and, if desired, a little coarse sugar.
Bake for 5 minutes at 220 °C (430 °F), then, leaving the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 177 °C (350 °F). Bake for an additional 15–16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The total baking time for these muffins in the oven is approximately 20–21 minutes. (For mini cupcakes, bake for 11–13 minutes at 177 °C (350 °F)).
Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling or enjoy warm.
Applesauce: It is best to use unsweetened applesauce. If using a sweetened product, slightly reduce the amount of maple syrup to 60 ml. You can use homemade or store-bought applesauce, and the consistency doesn't matter – use thick, runny, smooth or chunky. Cinnamon applesauce is also a great choice, but if you don't want too much of a cinnamon flavor, I would reduce the cinnamon in the recipe a bit.
Raisins: are an optional ingredient, so it's up to you to add or not.
Serving Size12 cupcakes
Amount Per Serving Calories 181Total Fat 7,2gCarbohydrates 27gFiber 3,3gSugar 9gProtein 4g
Other recipes on our site might interest you – Lamb salad, baked lamb.
Subscribe to our social media pages to get recipes – Facebook, Telegram, Instagram or Twitter.