A rich and tasty recipe for beef stroganoff with beef and mushrooms is a real dinner that can be prepared in 20 minutes. Ideal for a Sunday dinner with the whole family, or for a romantic dinner with a loved one.
Subscribe to our pages to not miss new recipes
There are many versions of beef stroganoff, some of which use brandy, mustard, stock or sour cream. This recipe is a bit simpler, based on heavy cream and sour cream.
What is beef stroganoff? Beef Stroganoff, or Stroganoff meat (fr. bœuf Stroganoff – “stroganoff beef”) is a meat dish made of finely chopped pieces of beef covered with a hot sour cream sauce. Rarer spellings of the name are “beef stroganov”, “beef a la Stroganov”, “stroganov meat”. The dish originated around 1890, in the city of Odesa, and is named after Count Alexander Stroganov.
Beef stroganoff is a typical author’s dish, that is, it has no folk roots. Although it is often attributed to Russian cuisine – what is wrong.
The exact recipe for the classic beef stroganoff has not been preserved. Over the years and in different countries, various changes were made to his recipe, which led to the loss of the integrity and technology of the dish.
So, what do we need for this recipe?
- Ribeye steak, sirloin steak, or sirloin steak are the best.
- We use double (thick) cream – 48% fat. Low-fat cream curdles if cooked over high heat.
- Sour cream is only fat. Sour cream, however, has a lower fat content than double cream and separates when boiled. So, we’ll add the double cream first – this will help protect the sour cream, then we’ll add the sour cream and slowly heat it up.
- Mushrooms – Use your favorites. Cream mushrooms are better because they have a great taste.
- Onion – will add a little sweetness to the dish.
How to cook this beef stroganoff recipe?
Full amounts and instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
You can use a regular non-stick pan for this recipe, but it is better to use a cast iron pan – it sears the steak and mushrooms better, which adds flavor and color to the dish.
- Fry the onion in a large pan with the butter and oil, then add the mushrooms and fry until golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Increase the heat to high, then brush the beef strips with a little oil, salt, and pepper and cook over high heat for about 2 minutes, turning occasionally, until browned.
- Add the onion and mushrooms back to the pan, reduce the heat to medium, then pour in the cream and then the sour cream. Stir and slowly heat until the sauce is hot, and the sauce is bubbling slightly at the edge of the pan (don’t let it boil). Turn off the heat and serve the beef stroganoff over boiled rice or pasta, and sprinkle with paprika and a little parsley before serving.
Stroganoff recipe cream of mushroom
Do you like rice? You will love this Indian restaurant style rice recipe! Please leave a comment on the website or share this recipe on social media – of course, if you liked it.
Subscribe to our social media pages to get recipes – Facebook, Telegram, Instagram or Twitter.
Stroganoff with mushrooms
Rich and delicious beef stroganoff with creamy mushrooms is a real dinner that can be prepared in 20 minutes.
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp. l.
- Butter – 1 tbsp. l.
- Onion – 1 pc.
- Cream mushrooms – 200 gr.
- Fillet or Ribeye steak – 400 gr.
- Salt – ¼ tsp.
- Black pepper – ¼ tsp.
- Cream – 240 ml. (thick)
- Sour cream – 160 ml. (⅔ cup)
Heat one tablespoon each of the oil and butter in a large skillet (sauté pan) over medium heat until the butter begins to foam.
Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until the onion begins to soften.
Add the mushrooms and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, stirring typically, until browned.
Transfer the contents of the pan to a bowl. Put the pan back on the heat and increase the heat.
Drizzle steak strips with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper.
Put the meat in the pan in a single layer and cook for 1 minute, then turn it over and cook for another 30 seconds.
Add the onion and mushrooms back to the pan and reduce the heat to medium.
Pour in the cream, and then the sour cream, mix.
Heat slowly until the sauce is hot and begins to bubble slightly around the edge of the pan (don't let it boil). Turn off the fire.
Before serving, spoon beef stroganoff overcooked rice or pasta and sprinkle with paprika.
- The best meat for this recipe is rib eye steak, sirloin, or sirloin steak.
- Do not use low-fat cream. Any cream with a fat content of less than 25% will curdle when heated. Use cream with at least 35% fat content, the best option is cream with 48% fat content.
- The same applies to sour cream, 30% fat sour cream or homemade sour cream is suitable.
Serving Size4 servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 596Total Fat 54gSaturated Fat 27gCholesterol 169mgSodium 281mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 24g