One of the simplest recipes for Ukrainian salad! This refreshing and delicious recipe, cabbage and cucumber salad, has been prepared in many families for decades. It is easy to prepare: cabbage, cucumbers, a large amount of fresh dill, seasoned with fresh lemon juice and olive oil, and toasted almonds are the highlight.
Subscribe to our pages to not miss new recipes
Ingredients for the recipe
Cucumber and cabbage salad requires very few ingredients. Here are some tips for the essentials; full printable recipe below.
- Cabbage: Use a combination of savoy cabbage and regular cabbage because it tends to be sweeter and milder.
- Cucumbers: Salad cucumbers are fine, but this is not the point.
- Fresh Dill: Be sure to use fresh herbs for this salad! Fresh dill will add a wonderful taste!
- Almonds: Toasted, slivered almonds add a great nutty flavor and extra zing to a regular recipe! But it is not necessary to use it.
- Lemon Juice: You can also use white vinegar in the recipe as an alternative to lemon juice.
How to make cucumber and cabbage salad
This is a salad for daily preparation, especially in the summer! It also pairs well with grilled or baked meats.
- Start by cutting or slicing the cabbage into thin strips. If you are using firm cabbage, massage it with your hands for a minute before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Then add sliced cucumbers, toasted almonds, fresh dill and green onions.
- Dress this salad with salt, olive oil and lemon juice or vinegar.
- Let the salad sit for a few minutes before enjoying its taste. If making in advance, do not dress the salad and leave the dressing until ready to serve!
What to serve cabbage salad with?
Some ideas with which dishes to serve cabbage salad for a delicious dinner:
- A good idea for a Sunday dinner is a Chinese-style pork belly and a cabbage and cucumber salad.
- And although steak with garlic and butter is a self-sufficient meal, for better digestion and a balanced diet, it should be complemented with a salad, such as Greek or cucumber and cabbage salad.
- Baked chicken in the oven with potatoes. A dish that does not require marinating and long preparation, so dinner will be ready within an hour.
- And although beef with potatoes tastes best with pickles, cabbage salad will also nicely complement this dish, for a complete dinner.
- A whole chicken baked in the oven. Fragrant juicy chicken for dinner with cabbage salad and cucumber will be a good end to the working day!
White cabbage salad
Cabbage salad recipe
A light cucumber and cabbage salad with chopped almonds and fresh dill.
- White cabbage – 1 pc. small
- Savoy cabbage – 1 pc. small
- Green onions – 3 pcs.
- Cucumbers – 3 pcs. average
- Fresh dill – 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Almonds – 1/3 cup (toasted, chopped)
- Olive oil – 1/4 cup (60 ml)
- Juice - 1 – 2 lemons (large)
- Salt - 1 – 2 tsp.
- Freshly ground black pepper – to taste
Using a sharp knife, remove the tough, fibrous core from each cabbage and discard it.
Cut the cabbage into thin strips with a knife or with a shredder, or both. In a large bowl, combine the cabbage and the vinegar.
Use the white and green parts of the green onions to chop them up.
Use a knife to cut the cucumber in thin slices. Chop a large bunch of fresh dill and add it to the salad.
In a large bowl, mix all the chopped ingredients, seasonings, lemon juice, olive oil, and almonds.
Almonds should be roasted and crushed before eating.
Mix all the ingredients together and season with salt to taste.
If you are planning to prepare this salad in advance, please store the seasonings separately. When ready to serve, mix the oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Add when ready to serve.
Serving Size6 servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 178Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 1gSodium 426mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 6gSugar 7gProtein 5g
Other recipes on our site might interest you – Lamb salad, baked lamb.
Subscribe to our social media pages to get recipes – Facebook, Telegram, Instagram or Twitter.